Clementine Rose

Clementine Rose

Hey Everyone!

I think I have found my new favourite kids books. The Clementine Rose series. I have been on a mission to find chapter books to read aloud to my 4 and 5 1/2 year old kids. There don't seem to be many books aimed at this market. There are lots for beginner readers that are shorter and many of the longer ones are aimed at an older audience and are a bit scary for my sensitive kids. Other books such as the Milly Molly Mandy series or books by one of my favourite authors, Enid Blyton, have language that is antiquated and concepts that are too old fashioned for my kids to understand. I also love supporting Australian authors. The Clementine Rose books tick all the boxes for me. Here are my reviews of the first two.


Clementine Rose and the Surprise VisitorClementine Rose and the Surprise Visitor by Jacqueline Harvey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is book one in the Clementine Rose series. Clementine Rose is a 5 year old girl who lives in a country town. I read this aloud to my 4 and 5 1/2 year old children. They found it easy to relate to the characters in the book. It is written in modern language but has an old fashioned moral feel to it. This book introduces all the main characters who appear throughout the series. I plan to continue reading this series to my kids.


 Clementine Rose and the Pet Day Disaster (Clementine Rose, #2)Clementine Rose and the Pet Day Disaster by Jacqueline Harvey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is book 2 in the series.
**Interview with my 5 1/2 year old son**
Me: Did you like that book?
Him: Uh huh (while nodding)
Me: Which bit did you like the best?
Him: When the cat got out of the cage by itself. 
Me: Which pet did you like the best?
Him: The teacup pig.
Me: Would you like to read another one about Clementine?
Him: Yes.

I really enjoyed this book too. Perfect for reading aloud to my 4 and 5 1/2 year old kids. This books deals with Clementine starting school, dealing with bullies and the adventures of a pet day at school.
  • Where: Local library
  • Format: paperback
** Here are my reviews of the other books in the Clementine Rose series**

Purchase links