International Women's Day

International Women's Day

Hey Everyone!

Today is International Women's Day. I thought I'd take the time to acknowledge some of the female authors who helped me develop a love of reading.


Ivy Wallace
My first memories of staying up past my bedtime reading to myself was with a book called The Story of Pookie. It was a little blue hardcover book that my Mum had given to me. It was hers when she was a little girl. I wish I knew where it was now. The story is about a little white rabbit who has wings. I read the whole book (about 30 pages) in one go and was really impressed with myself.


Enid Blyton
I loved the Faraway Tree books. I read them lots of times and I remember playing "faraway tree" with my best friend. We both always wanted to be Bessie. These books developed my love of fantasy. The newer editions of the books have changed the names to Beth, Frannie and Rick (you can imagine how much I giggled reading about Fanny and Dick).





Julie Campbell Tatham
My introduction to mystery books were the Trixie Belden series. Julie wrote the first six books in the series, then various in house writers from the publisher took over. I was always fascinated by Di's violet eyes and I had a bit of a crush on Jim.